Sunday, December 26, 2010

Starbucks Style Maple Nut Scones


Happy day after Christmas! I hope you had a fantastic Christmas and were able to relax and enjoy friends, family, and delicious food! I was up in Canada with my sister, brother in-law and nephew. It was COLD! My first white Christmas in a long time. What better way to start a chilly morning than with a hearty scone? I particularly enjoy Starbucks scones, my two favorites are their cinnamon chip scones and the maple nut scones. I recently acquired the "Top Secret Recipe's" cookbook, it is chock full of delicious restaurant knockoffs, including several recreations of Starbucks' baked goods. This recipe for their Maple Nut Scones is spot on! The addition of maple flavoring gives the scones and frosting rich flavor and the pecans and oats add a hearty crunch. Now all I need to do is figure out how to make a killer homemade latte....

Maple Nut Scones
Recipe from Top Secret Recipes
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold butter
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 large egg
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup half-and-half
2 teaspoons imitation maple flavoring

Maple Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
4 teaspoons half-and-half

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine the flour, oats, baking powder cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
Use a pastry knife or a fork to cut the cold butter into the dry mixture (I use a cheese grater and grate the butter in, much easier in my opinion!).
Stir in the chopped walnuts.
Use an electric mixer to combine the egg, brown sugar, half-and-half, and maple flavoring in a medium bowl.
Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and blend with electric mixer until firm, then use your hands to mix the dough until you can form it into a ball.
Pat the dough out on a lightly floured surface until it is about 1 1/4 inches thick. Shape the dough into a rectangle, and then cut the dough into 12 small triangles.
Arrange the triangles on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or just until the scones begin to turn light brown on the edges.
As the scones cool, combine the icing ingredients in a bowl.
When scones have cooled, spread with icing.
So tasty...
Where's my latte?

17 comments:

  1. These look so good- I love the maple flavor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, the topping is to die for

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing. And what beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm....those sound positively delicious! Just saw a link to your cookie brittle...I'm intrigued and am heading over that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, those look delicious! Great pics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks divine!!! Just wanted to let you know that I am starting a new weekly linky party on Jan 7th called Fun w/ Food Friday. If you have time, I would LOVE for your to come link up some of your delicious recipes!

    http://www.paisleypassions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. one word - yum! i'm such a lover of starbucks' scones. i can't wait to give these a whirl.

    xo.anna marie
    www.thetinyspout.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness! - all I can say is I am seriously drooling over these scones! I must make them SOON! :-)

    Happy New Year!
    ~avril :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz, those look so good! I'll have to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! I've never tried the Starbucks version, but these look delicious! I can't eat them at the moment because I had my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, but I'm going to plan to try these next weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post has been nominated for the Best in Show award on my blog! Thanks for linking up to my Not "Baaad" Sundays linky and come vote for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came back to browse more of your blog. These are absolutely to die for! My hubby and I LOVE maple donuts and WOW these scones look great. YUM! I'm going to have a whole folder full of your recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, I would love to make these, just a quick question, in the intructions you add cinnamon but in the ingredients I don't see an amount for cinnamon? is it just a pinch? I may be completely blind and just can't see it
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi what is half half? is there any altenative for it? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half and half. It's 50-50 milk and cream. I know growing up in UK we didn't know of it.

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness!! I've been craving these for the last 3 years, as Starbucks for some reason does not carry them where I live... They just came out of the oven and I'm in heaven :-) Thanks so much for sharing, also the butter trick works so well!

    ReplyDelete