Thursday, September 16, 2010

Is it a cookie or a brittle? It's the best of both! AND a bloggy award...


A word of warning... these are seriously addictive! Crispy, crunchy, yet so buttery they melt in your mouth. I have already made two batches this week.. I made the first one to bring to work... ya, that didn't happen. As I was taking pics of them for the blog, about half of them disappeared, wonder how that happened? The next morning another good chunk of them disappeared... into my tummy...well, good thing they are amazingly easy to make and don't require many ingredients, don't even need to get out your mixer. I got the recipe from a Nestle Tollhouse cookbook I came across at a used book sale. The brittle turns out as a cross between shortbread, crispy chocolate chip cookies, and yes, a candy brittle. They are the perfect comfort food, crumbly and luscious and reminiscent of so many childhood treats. I mixed them together using a wooden spoon and then my hands. The dough is really crumbly but when you press it into the cookie tray it magically sticks together. Almost a pie dough consistency. Please enjoy these, but consider yourselves warned... any smidgen of self-control you may have will disappear as soon as these come out of the oven, and once they are cooled off, I guarantee they won't last long!



Nestle Tollhouse Cookie Brittle

Adapted from Nestle Tollhouse Cookie Cookbook


Ingredients


1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened

2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I just used the cap to measure out two cap fulls, does anybody else do this?)

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups flour

1 1/4 cups chocolate chips (use whatever kind you have, semi-sweet, milk, butterscotch, white... possibilities are endless!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie pan with parchment paper. Mix the butter and vanilla.

Add in the flour, sugar, salt and chocolate chips, using your hands or a wooden spoon mix it all together until well combined.

The dough will be fairly dry and crumbly. Dump the dough onto lined cookie sheet.

Press it into a thin layer using your hands. Mine didn't completely fill the cookie tray. The thinner you press it, the crispier it will be and the quicker it will cook, so adjust accordingly.

Bake for 20 minutes, check, if edges are lightly brown and center is set, remove from oven. Allow to cool COMPLETELY (this is probably the hardest part, I put the whole tray in the fridge to speed up the process ☺).

Break up into pieces.


Eat, repeat!


Thanks to Miss Marlene from Living a Changed Life for this lovely blog award




Rules:


1 - Post who gave you this award: Marlene! Living a Changed Life - super inspiring, checkity check it out!


2 - Name 10 things you like:



  • My dog Lola.... she rocks

  • Having three sisters - lifelong best friends!

  • Waking up early and being productive

  • PEANUT BUTTER!

  • Blog comments

  • Cage free eggs - never going back after seeing the way hens are kept on big farms... NOT ok!

  • COOKIE DOUGH!

  • Parchment paper

  • FRIENDS

  • the weekend!!!!!

3 - Give this award to 10 other people and notify them with a comment. - These are blogs/people I love love love...

UndertheTableandDreaming Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up          party!

22 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks!! That's so nice! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soooo kind. I love your blog too. My favorite thing about blogging has been getting to know wonderful women like you!!!

    These have been one of my favorite cookies since I was little. My cousin's wife always made them for family events. No one can believe how simple they are.

    Your pictures are gorgeous. I don't think mine ever looked that good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cookie looks amazing! Thanks for the tag.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the award! Very much appreciated. I enjoy all the different recipes you post they are always so yummy. I also LOVE LOVE parchment paper, not only for baking but I tape it to my coffee table so my toddler can stick stickers all over.

    Again thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I just found you through Foodie Friday and I am totally going to try this recipe! Do I have to share it with my family? Maybe I will make them late at night! :-)
    I'm enjoying your blog!
    Vanessa
    http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so in your directions, you have Eat. Repeat. Seriously, would there be any way to STOP? This looks ridiculously good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so yummy! I'm definitely going to have to give them a try this week :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Liz! I love your blog too and also most of the other things on your list! :)
    That cookie brittle looks soooo good- it would definitely be addictive.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUMMY! Im definetly making these tommorrow! Thanks :)
    check out my blog if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok this is so going in my cookbook and I'm makin some TONIGHT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely made another batch of these this weekend... dangerous I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum!!!

    giggling just a little when the title says nestle toll house ...and you used hersheys chocolate.

    ;)

    i like hersheys the best too!

    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made these and they are heavenly!!! LOVE them. I made them with mini semi sweet hershey's chips and they were delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is one of the most insanely delicious-looking treats I've seen in a long, long time. Must try! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These came out of the oven an hour ago... thank you so much for this recipe!! They are out of this world amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a new follower - and I am just in love! I made these last night. Big huge hit at home as well as at the office!

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I came across your post a few weeks ago (thanks to Pinterest) and have been dying to try this recipe. Today was the day, and OH BOY! I can see this or some version of it will become my go-to for pot lucks, gifts, and even Sunday afternoons when the baking bug bites but I don't want to go shop for ingredients. Yum yum! THanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are soo addictive! I used milk chocolate chips and added apx. 1/3 c. finely chopped coconut. Thanks for sharing, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  19. After reading many articles, now I finally found a good article that describes things very easily. I like your article and now I’m able to make decisions. So Thank You!

    Modafil MD 100 mg is a medication that is used to promote wakefulness. Generally, It is prescribed for those people who are suffering from narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome, or shift work sleep disorder.

    ReplyDelete