Monday, September 27, 2010

Magazine/Cookbook Monday: The BEST Oatmeal Cookies I EVER ate!


This morning I got to go to a holiday baking class offered by Williams-Sonoma. I went over to my parents house and convinced them to come along with me, so off we trooped to stand in line in eager anticipation of yummy recipes and great tips. We were not disappointed!
The women who were demonstrating the techniques were wonderful and knew their stuff. They eloquently explained to me the difference between three different types of whisks and they also were experts on which type of cooking sprays to use with which type of pans. Turns out you shouldn't use PAM or nonstick sprays on nonstick pans. Good thing I always use parchment. My pans, in case you haven't noticed in my posts, are all second hand and have definitely seen better days. My dad, being the amazingly generous person he is, bought me a BRAND NEW set of bakewear. And not just any bakeware, Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch Bakeware Essentials Set.
These pans are AWESOME! I absolutely love them and am so happy to be able to retire my old, overworked pans. Needless to say, this class put me in the baking mood, and on a rainy day like today, oatmeal cookies sounded scrumptious, AND I was VERY eager to try out my new cookie sheets! The oatmeal cookies I made are officially the most amazing oatmeal cookies I have ever eaten! Plumping the raisins in hot water before adding them into the dough makes them succulently juicy. The plump raisins then meld perfectly with the cinnamon and brown sugar and give the cookies a perfect ULTRA chewy texture that is further accented by the hearty oats and crisp coconut. These extra thick cookies are moist and fruity and GIANT! They remind me of those huge oatmeal cookies they sell at Starbucks, but these are way better because they are homemade. I am now cuddled up on my couch with Lola (my adorable dog), perfectly content, blogging with my big cup of tea and humongous cookie. Can you think of any better way to spend a rainy Sunday? I can't!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


Ingredients

1 Cup Raisins
12 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup dried coconut (not shown in picture, I added it in on a whim)

Put the raisins in a bowl, cover them with hot water and set them aside to soak for about 15 minutes, until they are nice and plump. Drain the raisins and pat them dry with paper towels. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (or butter/grease if you'd rather). Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy. Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
Fold 1/2 cup of the dry ingredients and half the beaten eggs into the creamed butter.
Add the remaining dry ingredients and eggs, folding only until the flour is incorporated (I realize this seems tedious but it makes the cookies light and chewy).
Fold in the raisins, oats and nuts. Drop the batter onto the baking sheets about two inches apart(I did about 2 heaping tablespoons batter per cookie).
Lightly press down on the cookies (makes for more even cooking). Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
Cool on wire racks.
Make sure you have a cold glass of milk for dunking!
See? Gigantic!!!

Ahh..... comfort food at its finest...
Have a BEAUTIFUL Monday!


The Girl Creative Keeping It Simple

4 comments:

  1. Oatmeal and raisin are my favourite cookies! Yours look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Liz! I adore how your parents went with you to WS for a holiday cooking class! - just precious!!!! The recipe for the Oatmeal Cookies is devine....not only do I love the fact that the raisins are cooked first to "plump" but also the fact that coconut is added in too....d'lish! I will definitely be making these cookies soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Liz,
    This is my first time visiting your blog, and I hope you don't mind me leaving a comment.
    I love your baking photos!
    I love baking and I can't wait to bake the cookies you have shared!
    Thank you!
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete