Saturday, September 11, 2010

Crockpot Salsa Chicken with Whole Wheat Penne Pasta

This week I was having a few friends over for dinner on an evening that I knew I was going to get off work late. I also realized the night before that I really hadn't planned anything for dinner and I had almost no ingredients on hand.... what's a girl to do? Turn to that fabulous invention known as the crock pot. I threw in a jar of salsa, a few chicken breasts and set it on low and slow! When I arrived home that evening, I was greeted by the glorious smell of the chicken cooking. All I had to do was boil some whole wheat penne pasta and serve it up with some Monterrey jack cheese and a green salad on the side. Such a delicious, savory meal! My friends thought I had been slaving away over a hot stove all evening.... little did they know I had spent about fifteen minutes total pulling the meal together... but that will just be our little secret ☺

Crock pot Salsa Chicken with Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
Ingredients
3 good sized chicken breasts, frozen
1 jar of your favorite low-sodium salsa, I like Green Mountain Gringo Fire Roasted Chili Salsa (try and select the lowest sodium salsa you can find or else your chicken will turn out too salty!)
1 lb whole wheat penne pasta

Ingredients to top:
Monterrey jack cheese (shredded)
Sour cream

Coat inside of crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Place frozen chicken breasts in crock pot. Pour one jar of salsa over chicken breasts. Place lid on cooker and set on low. Cover and allow chicken to cook for 8-10 hours. I did ten and mine turned out perfect. After chicken is completely cooked, boil pasta until tender. Remove chicken from crock pot and shred with two forks. Toss pasta with chicken and left over cooking liquid from the crock pot. Sprinkle with cheese and spoon on a dollop of sour cream if desired.

www.simplysweethome.com.png


UndertheTableandDreaming

4 comments:

  1. I need to use my crock pot more- I'm always tired when I get home from work and don't feel like cooking. This looks like a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I love crockpot recipes - thanks for sharing this!! : )

    Aimee @ Justkiddingaroundatlanta

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delicious! Thanks for linking up last week for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my chicken breast are already thawed- any chance i can still make it? low for half day maybe?

    ReplyDelete