Friday, September 24, 2010

Pumpkin-Pecan Pie Oatmeal




Yay for the first day of autumn being this week! I happen to love fall. The leaves change, the squirrels gather acorns, pumpkins and squash abound... but mostly I love the warm, comforting flavors that fall brings. Waking up to the cinnamony, yeasty smell of fresh baked cinnamon rolls, enjoying a hearty stew with home cooked biscuits, succulent low baked apples bursting with juicy raisins and spicy cinnamon.... but my favorite fall treats are pumpkin and pecan pies. My dad is the king of the pecan pie and last year for thanksgiving he made the ultimate pie - a combination of creamy, spicy pumpkin and crunchy, sugary pecans. The best of both worlds! When I woke up this morning, the crisp feel of fall was in the air and I was craving that pie something fierce. I figured that making a pie for breakfast wasn't the best idea so I googled pumpkin pie oatmeal and came across this scrumptious looking recipe from Good Life Eats. Perfect! It combines pumpkin puree with thick cut oatmeal and a pecan streusel topping. I bought some pecan pie glazed pecans when I was grocery shopping, and while absolutely delicious on their own (seriously, buy some now), they were the perfect way to top off this oatmeal. The oatmeal smelled like pumpkin pie while baking and was ready in about 20 minutes. The flavors of pumpkin and cinnamon along with the crunch of the pecan-brown sugar topping and the hearty warmth of the oats sent me to autumn breakfast heaven. Is it Thanksgiving yet? Cause it sure tastes like it!

Pumpkin-Pecan Pie Oatmeal
Recipe from Good Life Eats
Ingredients
1 cup old fashioned oats, not quick cook
1 Tbs whole flax seeds, optional
2 1/2 Tbs brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp butter, softened
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1/4 cup pecans, chopped (optional)

Topping:
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
2 tsp butter, softened
1 Tbs brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 4 individual sized ramekins. Set aside.

Combine the oats through salt in a medium sized bowl. Stir well. In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, butter, pumpkin, and milk. Whisk thoroughly.
Pour the pumpkin mixture into the oats.
Stir until combined.
Divide mixture evenly between 4 individual sized ramekins. Place ramekins on a baking sheet (this makes it easier to move in and out of the oven.). Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the topping: chopped pecans, butter, and brown sugar.
After the oatmeal has baked for 10 minutes, remove and divide topping mixture evenly between the ramekins. Bake an additional 7 minutes.
Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Have a wonderful Sunday!

UndertheTableandDreamingJoin  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up           party!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That looks amazing. I love those pecans too. And, of course, today I have none in the house. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh that looks amazing!! I can almost smell it. I am going to add it to my recipe blog and link it back to you. I will be getting all the ingredients for next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they for breakfast or dessert or both? :) Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious hearty breakfast- I bet your kitchen smelled amazing while those were baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want this. I just emailed it to myself so I remember to make it on my next free weekend morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I make this, and eat it and come out alive it'll be a miracle and only because God wants me to live to taste it again. I've never even thought of it, it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making this for dinner! Haha, but seriously, I did not know this was the blog of Liz Swain until, ummmm today...I'm totally clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to make these. They sound just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making this for my husband for breakfast TOMORROW! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the name of your blog, mine is called A STITCH & A PRAYER! :)

    ReplyDelete