Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Whisked Away Wednesday: Caramel Apple Cake



Happy Wednesday! Keeping with the theme of fall flavors, I whisked up a caramel apple cake! I have to admit, I don't much like regular caramel apples. I like my apples dipped in fudge, white chocolate, m&ms, anything other than just plain caramel. It's not that I don't like the flavor of caramel apples, I love it! I guess what I don't like is the texture of biting into something so sticky.... I dunno, I'm weird I guess! BUT that being said, this cake takes all the GREAT flavor of caramel apples that I do like and removes the whole texture issue. When you bite through the cake's caramelized crust, you get a mouthful of plump, juicy apples and creamy gooey caramel melted together in a heavenly whirl of cinnamon and brown sugar. I know on Monday I posted about the best oatmeal cookies I ever ate, and I don't want to overdo the use of "the best..." but honestly, this cake takes the cake! (sorry that was a little corny... but ya know.. it's good cake!)

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 - 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple (I used one large pink lady apple)
12 caramels, chopped (into fourths) - this took a bit of time and was kinda sticky but believe me it is sooo worth it!

Topping Ingredients
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk, butter and vanilla.
Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple and caramels.
Make sure the caramels aren't stuck together when you add them in. I sprinkled them in a few at a time, separating them by hand.
No clumps!
Cut out a circle of parchment paper to fit the bottom of your spring form pan.
Place parchment paper in pan. Spray pan and paper with nonstick spray (or you could butter it).
Pour batter into pan.
In a separate bowl, combine topping ingredients.
Sprinkle topping over batter, making sure the topping covers the batter (I guess you don't have to cover the whole thing with topping, but I highly recommend it for that great caramelized crunch when you bite into the cake!).
Place cake in preheated oven. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Remove from oven, allow to cool, remove springform rim and savor the goodness!




What have YOU been whisking up lately?
Beauty and Bedlam
CreativeShareWednesdays
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap  up           party!

13 comments:

  1. That looks INCREDIBLE! I can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks crazy YUM! Gotta love those caramel candy pieces added in too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading your blog, and all of this fall food is making me SO HOMESICK!! Wish I could be home to try all your amazing concoctions. I was going to make this recipe, but it requires a springform pan, which I most definitely don't have. And I'm not real sure where I'd get caramels either... So sad... But I did get to have a lamb and mint cornish pasty today, so that was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, this sounds fabulous and perfect for this time of year. I will have to bookmark this page and try it out soon!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, oozing caramel! Now that's what I'm talking about! Great way to kick off the fall season.

    Just to let you know, I awarded you the "One Lovely Blog Award" on my blog today:
    http://sourkrautkrafts.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    Feel free to pass it along to 15 of your favorite blogs or just accept my adoration in silence and leave it at that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my heavens! BTW, I just gave you an award! Come claim it at http://fortheluvofboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious, I was actually thinking of making an apple cake Sunday! I'd love for you to stop by What's Cooking Wednesday to share one of your recipes (http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/search/label/What%27s%20Cooking%20Wednesday)!! Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the thoughtful awards, such a perk me up on a loong day! Anna - you could use a different type of pan such as a muffin pan or line a regular cake pan with foil, wont turn out as pretty but I bet it will be just as tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog. I love all your recipes. This one looks especially delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz. I just stopped by from TT&J.

    This is a yummy looking cake. I was putting together a post full of apple recipes for this week and decided to feature you! Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this cake this weekend and it was fantastic! It got raves and is now on the favorites list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tried it, loved it! Will definitely bake this again! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện mê linh
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện mỹ đức
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện phú xuyên
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện phúc thọ
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện sóc sơn
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện hoài đức
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện thạch thất
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện quốc oai
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện đan phượng
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện thanh oai
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện chương mỹ
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện thường tín
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại biên hòa đồng nai
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại bình dương
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện cần giờ
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện nhà bè
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện hóc môn
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện củ chi
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại huyện bình chánh
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại quận bình thạnh
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại quận bình tân
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại quận tân bình
    dịch vụ kế toán thuế trọn gói tại quận gò vấp

    ReplyDelete