Monday, September 20, 2010

Magazine/Cookbook Monday: Creamy Hot Chocolate Muffins



Ok this may just be the funnest muffin idea I have come across in awhile! Its a muffin, in a mug! You could use pretty much any muffin batter, but i particularly like the Marbled Chocolate Muffin recipe from 1 Mix, 100 Muffins for this. It tastes like creamy hot chocolate in muffin form. I have also used the muffin in a mug idea with banana nut muffins to great results. The good thing about muffin batter is that you can stick it in a plastic Ziploc bag and store it in your fridge for up to four days. I like to keep the batter in my fridge and before I hop in the shower in the morning. I fill a mug with batter, pop it in the oven, and by the time I have dressed, done my makeup and found my keys, my muffin is hot and ready to go. Grab a spoon, run out the door, enjoy your home baked, completely portable, mug full of muffin!

Marbled Chocolate Muffins aka Creamy Hot Chocolate Muffins
Adapted from 1 Mix 100 Muffins by Susanna Tee (this is a GREAT cookbook for you muffin lovers!)

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
Heaping 1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons melted, cooled butter OR sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease mug(s). Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Sift in sugar.
In a separate bowl, beat together two eggs (I use a fork). Beat in milk, butter or oil, and vanilla extract.

Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Stir in wet ingredients stirring until just moistened. Beware of overstirring!

Divide batter into two bowls. Add unsweetened cocoa to one of the bowls of batter and stir in. Fill mug by alternating spoonfuls of chocolate dough and white dough.
Fill to 3/4 of the way full. These rise, alot! I like my muffins to be super tall so I fill mine fuller than recommended ☺. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until tops are light, light brown and spring back when touched.



Grab a spoon and enjoy your heaping mug full of creamy, dreamy, hot chocolate muffin!
I made a few regular muffins too...


So pretty!
The Girl Creative
It's a Blog Party

15 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This looks and sounds delicious!!! And how fun! Thanks for sharing!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, how fantastic. this looks deelish and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw hot cocoa muffins! I love hot cocoa and now to be able to eat it in a dessert - delightful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea!! Super creative and always fresh! No need to worry about them going stale! YUM!!
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so easy but so good! I love it! Great photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so good! What a great idea to have hot fresh muffins every day. I never realized you could keep muffin batter for that long! Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super yummy - and cute to boot!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
    crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz. I made these for our Taste & Create partnershop. They are so cute as well as tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is brilliant. I am trying it soon. Perhaps tomorrow : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. just stumbled upon your blog, and sooo glad i did! wow! because this has to be the best breakfast idea. love it! will try it soon. thanks for posting this.
    <3 mk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just letting you know that I linked to this post on my page about Gourmet Hot Chocolate Recipes: http://www.zujava.com/gourmet-hot-chocolate-recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. So easy to make, and delicious! I couldn't wait for fall, so I whipped up a batch of these and enjoyed one with a cup of coffee. Yum!
    top sites, best deals Maryland Locksmith

    ReplyDelete