Monday, January 10, 2011

Butter Pecan Praline Bars or Why I'm a butter groupie...


Butter is just one of those things... that I love... which may be the reason I so often find myself perusing the Land O Lakes butter website. I think I may be a butter groupie, butters biggest fan, I just really really like it. Ok, so now that I sound like a complete crazy. Let's get to the recipe. Buttery, brown sugar shortbread base, covered by a layer of pecans, covered by a layer of homemade brown sugar caramel, covered by decadent swirls of creamy white chocolate. These bars are SWEET, cut em small folks. They will knock that sweet tooth right out of the park. That said, they are kinda fabulous.
Crumbly shortbread, buttery sticky caramel... the PECANS... oh man.. must. resist. eating. whole. batch...

Caramel Pecan Praline Bars
Adapted from here
Crust
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1 cup pecan halves
Caramel Layer
2/3 cup Butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup white chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350°F.
Combine all crust ingredients except pecans in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
Press onto bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.
Place pecans evenly over unbaked crust.
Combine 2/3 cup butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until entire surface of mixture begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Pour evenly over pecans and crust.
Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until entire caramel layer is bubbly. (DO NOT OVERBAKE.) Remove from oven.
Immediately sprinkle with chips; allow to melt slightly (2 to 3 minutes).
Swirl chips leaving some whole for a marbled effect.
Love.
Cool completely; cut into bars.
TIP: Store at room temperature in loosely covered container.

What are you all cooking up this week? Anything good??


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful bar cookie. They look so rich and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, those just look sinful, delicious, but sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a woman after my own heart! Love that butter! These bars look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fat free, right? Must try now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so with you about the butter! I am a butter freak too. I can't wait to try these, they look absolutely delicious!! I am also your newest follower and I would love you to follow me back at thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these do look so good! They look decadent, but butter's in the dairy group, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow - these look and sound delicious. I can't wait to try them. All this cold weather has really put me in the mood for baking. I love that you were "perusing the LOL website"!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Tuesdays!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY! It's shameful I have all those ingredients, hungry, and beginning Weight Watchers this week! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hah, who knew there were so many other butter groupies out there?! Alissa-The cold does the same thing to me! Scrambled-butter IS in the dairy group, so it must have lots of good for you stuff in it! Emily-good luck with the weight watchers!
    Thanks for all your lovely comments guys, they make my heart happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a butter groupie as well. This looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is everything you do so utterly fabulously decadently blissful? Your recipes never cease to captivate, inspire and entice me. Thank you so much for sharing them with my Rook No. 17 readers! Your contributions add tremendous value to the "A Little Birdie Told Me" linky party! Best, Jenn

    ReplyDelete