Saturday, January 29, 2011

Valentines Cookie Pie


  • Need a yummy valentines dessert? How about a Pookie? Yup, a cookie pie! And fully customizable! If your hunny is a peanut butter person, throw in some peanut butter chips. Health nut? Add some granola, nuts, and coconut (ok so that doesn't make it healthy but still, at least you get more protein). As you can see, you've got options. I baked mine in a heart shaped pie pan to make it extra festive. The crust I used was super easy too, you basically just press it into your pie pan, pour the delicious cookie filling into/over it and bake it up. Plenty of time left over to cook up a spectacular V-Day dinner. Here are some delicious looking options for your valentines dinner: some Pad Thai from Wives With Knives (a really fantastic Oregon based blog, AND I met the author at a farmers market and she is lovely). Maybe a Vegetable Cobbler from Indigo's Sugar Spectrum (one of my favorite blogs, hilarious writing AND awesome recipes), or my big sis's go to recipe for Chicken Parmesan (check out her blog for updates on my precious nephew and her adventures dog sledding in Canada with her Canadian hockey playing hubby). Maybe you should just try all three, it IS a holiday after all!

Cookie Pie
Adapted from cooks.com
Ingredients
1 pastry for a single-crust 9-inch pie, at room temperature (see the recipe I used below)
3/4 cup melted butter or margarine, cooled *Note if you use the crust recipe I used use just 3/4 cup melted butter. If you use your own recipe or a store bought crust, use 1 cup.
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
Line a 9-inch pie pan with pie dough, set aside. In a bowl, beat butter, eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until well blended.
Add flour and mix well.
Stir in chocolate and white chocolate chips (at this point you could add nuts, butterscotch chips, whatever strikes your fancy).
Pour filling into pastry. Bake on the lowest rack in a 325° oven until top is a rich golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes (about 30 minutes in a convection oven).
Cool on rack at least 20 minutes.
Flip pan over on a baking tray or plate to remove pie. Drizzle with melted white chocolate if desired.
Serve warm or cool, cut into wedges, with ice cream.

Now for the crust, thanks to allrecipes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons milk
Place all ingredients in 9 inch pie pan. Stir together with fork. Pat mixture into bottom and up the sides of the pan. Poke holes in bottom and side of crust.
I doubled this recipe and stored the extra in the fridge to use in another pie.
Happy weekend!

24 comments:

  1. Oh boy that looks delicious! Nice photos of your process too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, Nice pookie. Great idea. I love the flexibility of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to the store now so I can make this! Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMMMMMYYYY!!!! I found your blog through my Prairie Story Thursday Recipe Swap.. thanks for sharing... and come by to pick up your Stylish Blog Award http://prairiestory.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html
    ~Alison @ Prairie Story

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shouldn't come before dinner time. Now I just want to eat dessert. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god. I think I just died.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! I just want to eat this right now with a big glass of milk!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the shape! Who could resist a cookie pie?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooohh...that looks luscious! (and I love the name pookie!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, that looks amazing! Valentine's Day is definitely a holiday to pig out on dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my!I've never seen one of these! Come on over and enter my first give away :)
    mickey
    http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. All this yumminess netted you an AWARD!!!!!

    the FIRST time the Makin me Hungry Award was given out, too!

    You can pick it up on my blog here: http://blesstheirheartsmom.blogspot.com/2011/01/makin-me-hungry.html

    Thanks for all the great recipes and for making me want to BAKE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds so good! And the white chocolate on the top makes it even better:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks amazing...do I acutally have to share it with my valentine or can I eat the whole thing myself.

    New to your site. Love it here already. Can't wait to poke around some more.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! This looks beyond wonderful. I wish a I had a piece right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, what's not to LOVE!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my heavens - there are no words. THis looks like my fantasy dessert! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cookie Pie, are u serious?? I love other versions of cookie things! I think I would make this for someone else but then end up eating it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - this looks delicious! If I wasn't snowed in right now I would make a trip to the grocery store for the ingredients!
    Thanks so much for linking up.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything you make is truly exceptional! Nothing is ho-hum, hum-drum, or ordinary. You have a gift, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for sharing another phenomenal creation at Rook No. 17! I look forward to seeing what magic you'll whip up each week! Thank you, my friend!! Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh WOW! That just might have to be on the menu for Monday's dessert!

    ReplyDelete