Monday, February 28, 2011

Marionberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars


One of my favorite memories from school was when my mom would add a special dessert to my lunch. Usually, my lunch consisted of a turkey sandwich, cucumbers, a banana, apple juice, and a chocolate chip cookie (and ALWAYS a little encouragement note, which really was the best part)... But, once or twice a week my mom would put in an extra special dessert. Cookies are usually my favorite dessert, but after a whole week of chocolate chip cookies, my heart would give a little leap when I opened up my lunch bag and found a surprise. And believe me, if I had opened my lunch to one of these oatmeal cookie bars, I would've been thrilled! Bar cookies are my fave; they are easy, come together quickly, and, in this case, require just one bowl and a wooden spoon. These bars are just the kind of thing my mom would've treated me with, crunchy oatmeal cookie crust covered by homemade marionberry jam, finished off with a crunchy oat topping. Perfect for slipping in a lunch box to brighten a dreary school day!

Marionberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup butter, softened
1.5 cups marionberry jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease one 9x13 inch pan, and line with buttered (or non-stick sprayed) parchment paper. Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture.
Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. If the mixture is too dry, add a bit more butter.
Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.
Add a couple more dollops of jam to the top if you like.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
What was your favorite school day snack? I would love to know!
PS Don't forget to vote in the poll on the side bar!


11 comments:

  1. My favorite was a little butterscotch candy with a nut in the center... wish I could remember the name.

    I'm definitely going to try this recipe. It reminds me of the blueberry oat bars at Starbucks. I don't know if we can get Marionberry jam in SanDiego, but I'm sure this would also be good with blackberry, or raspberry jam.
    I posted a recipe for Almond Cherry Granola today. You might like that one. :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Jan at Jewelry4Change
    http://www.jewelry4change.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so delicious. I love how food, can bring back so many happy memories. I will have to give them a try. I am your newest follower, I love finding new yummy recipes!

    Carlee
    ladybirdln.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet way to say I love you - with a special treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally pinning this...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound so incredible! Thank you for sharing!
    <><
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Those look gorgeous. I miss marionberries. Can't get them in this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm stopping back by to tell you these are the best bars EVER! I made them with Simply Fruit blackberry (no sugar added) and they were superb! They were so good I had to freeze half of them to keep us from eating them all at once! Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I bet these would make a fun breakfast too.

    I'd love for you to share this recipe on my linky for Sweet Tooth Friday. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/03/monster-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, thank you for serving up a sweet slice of your childhood along with your delicious recipe!

    Always a pleasure to have you be a part of "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday at Rook No. 17!!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete