Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Whisked Away Wednesday: GIANT Pumpkin Molasses Cookies


Like pumpkin? Like molasses? I happen to love both, so these cookies are like a dream come true for me, and to top it all off, they are pretty healthy (for a cookie). They are made with whole wheat flour and no butter! In the original recipe (which I found on theungourmet.com) flax seeds replace the egg. I didn't have any flax seeds so I used an egg instead. The cookies turned out light, fluffy, and soft on the inside, the raw sugar coating on the outside adds a beautiful sparkle and wonderfully sweet crunch. The flavors come together in a particularly lovely combo of pumpkin and rich molasses. Just the smell of them baking is worth giving the recipe a try, they filled my whole apartment with all the lovely spicy smells of Fall.

Recipe thanks to Kim from The Ungourmet Blog
Makes about 1 dozen really big cookies

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup raw sugar (for rolling)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Whisk all dry ingredients together except the sugar. In a seperate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, molasses, oil, egg and brown sugar. Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix well. Put the raw sugar in a small bowl.
Form about 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball and cover with raw sugar - the dough is sticky at this stage, so I just used an ice cream scoop and dropped scoops into the sugar, swirling to cover. Continue until you have used up all the dough.
Before placing the cookies in the oven, use a fork to press the cookies down to about 1/2 inch thick (like you do with peanut butter cookies).
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly firm.


All sparkly with sugar... mmmmmmm.....

You should probably go make these... right about now...
you wont regret it, I promise!
Happy Baking!






10 comments:

  1. I just love the size of these cookies! And goodness the combo of pumpkin and molasses sounds wonderful too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely try these, they look great! Thanks for stopping by What's Cooking Wednesday! See you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby is on a low fat diet right now- these will be perfect. They sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look so good! Thanks for linking up to What's Cooking Wednesday! Hope to see you again next week!

    Diane
    www.turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic. I love both flavors,although I have to say I don't love pumpkin pie, I love pumpkin in anything else. These look so soft. We have to make these, oh I am putting on weight already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think maybe you need to post a new post! I read your blog when I'm homesick, and while I do love pumpkin-themed cookies, I could use a new recipe to fantasize about making.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't see the egg or flax seed in your ingredients. What is the amount of flax seed and if you use egg did you just beat one whole egg and add in?
    Thanks! Love you blog and all your great recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, thanks! You're right! I added a whole egg and mixed it in with the oil (I ammended the recipe). Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been searching through blogs for a great recipe to use up some of the gobs of pumpkin I have. These sound perfect :)

    If you get a chance, I'd love for you to stop by and post on my Not "Baaad" Sundays linky. There is a weekly contest for Best in Show!

    ReplyDelete