Monday, August 30, 2010

Magazine/Cookbook Monday: Crispy Cinnamon Cornflake Squares



And the award for most versatile breakfast cereal goes to.......drumrolll...... CORNFLAKES!!! wooohhooohowowoo! Seriously, what can't you use cornflakes for? I have seen it used as a chicken coating, thrown on top of casseroles, mixed into meatloaf, baked into cookies... I could go on and on. September's Real Simple issue features three recipes that utilize cornflakes. Real Simple is hands down my favorite magazine. What more could you ask for in a magazine? Simple recipes, beauty tips, fashion, house keeping advice. Basically everything I love compiled into one magazine, but I digress. The recipe I pulled from this month's issue does NOT disappoint. It consists of four ingredients and comes together in about ten minutes with no baking required. All you need: cornflakes, marshmallows, butter, and cinnamon. The resulting treats are reminiscent of rice crispy treats but with a warm, buttery, cinnamony flavor that makes them a bit more sophisticated. They are gooey, but the cornflakes retain a crispy crunch that lead me to consume about three of these delectable little squares before I even began taking pictures.... self-control is not my forte... Needless to say, I highly suggest you try this recipe.

Crispy Cinnamon Cornflake Squares


Ingredients

2 tblsp. unsalted butter plus more for pan
1 10 oz package marshmallows
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Butter an 8-inch square baking pan and line with parchment, leaving an overhang on 2 sides.

In a large saucepan, cook the butter and marshmallows over medium heat, stirring, until melted. Mix in the cornflakes and cinnamon.

Press the mixture evenly into the pan. Let cool completely, then lift out and cut into squares. Makes 16.


Crunch, crunch!


Beauty and Bedlam
It's a Blog Party

7 comments:

  1. Those look very, very yummy. I do love cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you brought back a memory from me... in high school we used to make this in a bowl and call it corn flake salad!! BTW I have a recipe swap on my blog every Thursday if you'd like to join in! http://prairiestory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! These would be fun to make with my kids at school. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look oh so good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are closely related to one of my favorite desserts: rice crispy treats. I must try these sometime soon!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious! Imagine drizzling chocolate over the top! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deeeelish and FUN! My daughter will love this recipe....the whole house will for that fact!!!

    ReplyDelete