Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Whisked Away Wednesday: Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Time for another Whisked Away Wednesday! What is it about miniature anything that just charms me? Mini muffins - love them, miniature horses - so cute! Tiny pumpkins in the fall - Yes please! I could go on and on... basically take anything normal sized and make it smaller and i will like it. So, when I passed by my favorite farms stand the other day and saw little crab apples, I wanted some, I wanted lots... but usually crab apples have a very sour taste. However, these crab apples are succulently sweet with a flavor similar to a Fuji apple. I bought a bunch, well, at 75 cents a pound, I bought a bit more than a bunch... So I have been snacking on these cute little fruits for the past few days and today decided it was time to try them in something baked. I whipped up a batch of my favorite apple cinnamon muffins using my giant muffin tins (good contrast to the mini apples, no?). They were great! I realize that it probably doesn't matter that I used tiny apples, regular size apples work just as well... in fact, I threw in a regular size apple too, but the mini apples are just so fun! And cooking should be fun! I have made these muffins before and they are always delicious, mist and cinnamony with a crispy brown sugar strudel crust. This time I had to do things a little differently than normal. As you may have noticed, in the ingredients picture I have powdered sugar... the recipe calls for white sugar. Let me explain, I didn't actually use powdered sugar, but last time I went grocery shopping I grabbed powdered sugar instead of regular sugar. I only realized my mistake when I went to put the sugar in these muffins and had already taken my ingredients pics. So I subbed 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup splenda for the white sugar. And guess what'? They still tasted amazing! I actually think I like them better this way than when I have made them with all white sugar. The brown sugar gives them a deep, warm flavor. I hope you enjoy them! Happy baking!






Cinnamon Apple Muffins
Recipe Adapted from cooks.com





Ingredients



1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup brown with 1/4 cup splenda)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup milk (I use soy)
1/3 cup oil
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup finely chopped apples








Preheat oven to 375. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon in medium bowl. Add all remaining ingredients. Stir just until flour is moistened.







Spoon batter into muffin liners or greased muffin tins filling almost to the top.


Brown Sugar Topping
In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp. butter, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle over muffins.


Bake 18-23 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.





Enjoy! Feel free to add a link to your Whisked Away Wednesday recipe in the comments section!

I also posted this recipe on Real Food Wednesday and No Whine Wednesday and Works for Me Wednesday.



works for me wednesday at we are that family

4 comments:

  1. looks delicious! want to try it. but I'll as my mom first.
    xo, Lorine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those muffins look dangerous! I don't think I could eat just one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always reading your blog early in the morning and REALLY wishing I had a little of whatever you're baking for breakfast. I could really go for a warm delicious muffin right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right - it's hard not to whine about these muffins. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete