Saturday, November 13, 2010

Blackberry Pinwheel Cobbler


It's the weekend! I had Thursday off work, which was amazing! I spent the day at the GRAND OPENING of H&M with my friends Lauren and Jamie (you can read more about the amazingness on Lauren's blog). After that exciting shopping trip, I had worked up an appetite! I have been looking for a great recipe to use up the last of the blackberries I picked this summer, and when I found this one on cooks.com, I knew this was it! It's kind of a cross between the most amazing cobbler ever and really delightful cinnamon rolls. I had to adjust it a bit as it was a little lacking in the directions, I also wish I would've used a smaller pan! The recipe says to use a 13x9 inch pan, which turned out to be WAY too big! Too large pan not withstanding, this is easily the best cobbler I have ever had. I almost wrote it off as a failure when I pulled it out of the oven, the rolls had not expanded as much as I thought they would, but I am SO glad I took a bite before making that decision! The cobbler rolls are crunchy and sugary, almost like a soft sugar cookie. The blackberries had released juice during baking which mixed with the sugar sauce to create a jam like sauce that when spooned over the rolls was absolutely fabulous! Be sure to let it sit for at least 15 minutes after removing from the oven to let the sauce thicken up a bit. The recipe says you can make it with any fresh or frozen fruit, so time to break out those frozen summer berries, peaches, nectarines, and I really wanna try it with mangoes! Now the recipe... cause unless you hate delicious food, you should probably go ahead and make this, right. about. now!


Adapted from cooks.com

Ingredients

2 cups sugar

2 cups water

1/2 cup butter (I used vegan)

1 1/2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup shortening or butter spread (used vegan)

1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon milk (used Soy)

3 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (I used about 2 1/2 cups defrosted and drained of excess juice)


Combine sugar and water in a saucepan; stir well.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Set aside. Place the 1/2 cup butter in an 8x8 inch baking dish in a 350 degree oven for 3 minutes or until butter melts. Set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.

Cut shortening or butter spread into flour until mixture resembles coarse meal; add milk, mixing with your hands just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly 4 or 5 times.

Roll dough into a 12x9 inch rectangle.

Spread blackberries over dough. Roll up, jelly roll style, beginning with long side. Cut dough into 12 (1 inch) slices.

The easiest way to cut the dough without smooshing it is this: grab your box of dental floss (go with me here, I promise, it works). Tear off a piece of floss (about 10 or so inches). Slide floss under roll, cross ends and pull until floss slices through roll.

Place slices, cut side down, in butter. Pour sugar syrup around slices. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until golden.

I sprinkled on some granola, that counts as breakfast, right??
Kinda like a big berry filled cinnamon roll
Sit back, relax, eat up!

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend   wrap    up           party!UndertheTableandDreaming

9 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your blog and your posts =)!
    I love baking and cooking too, but I think the best ingredient is love and dedication as you have written.
    Please come and visit my blog when you have an extra time. I would feel very honored =).
    www.nowlovedmylifesbegun.blogspot.com
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear lord that looks divine, and really pretty tah'boot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that sounds delicious! Other than peaches, blackberries are my favorite fruit to make cobblers with. I also use the dental floss trick, and it works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe has me longing for summer and blackberries from the coast. I imagine I can find some frozen ones or perhaps use up the apples I have lounging in my bin waiting for their moment to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok. i'm totally coming over for cobbler soon :). had fun shopping with you - hope you're enjoying your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the existence of each and every one of us, one would listen once, be immersed in music, and gladly praise it. What's more is to continue to partake in your beloved music rapidly and just, come to PLAYit. This is an across-the-board online Indian music player application and vows to bring you numerous incredible encounters.
    https://apkmodule.com/playit-mod-apk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get the latest updates of seriale turcesti subtitrat in Romana on our website. If you like to watch seriale turcesti subtitrat in Romana or seriale Romanesti so bookmark our website.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your interesting articles, come to Getmodnow - a place to experience the world without limits terraria mod apk! We are proud to be the leading website providing APK mod versions of Terraria game for free. With us, you can explore the magical world of Terraria with its unique and unlimited features, without having to pay anything. At Getmodnow, we guarantee that you will find the Terraria APK mod version that suits your preferences. There is an unlimited world of talented miners, warriors and designers waiting for you to explore. You will experience new adventures, use unique items and build your own world.

    ReplyDelete