Sunday, August 15, 2010

Creamy Breakfast Quinoa



Healthy, hearty, delicious, filling.... all words that describe my breakfast today! I am the newest member of the quinoa fan club. I have been hearing a lot about this healthy little grain lately and decided to give it a try myself. It was a good choice! It has a wholesome, nutty flavor and is surprisingly fluffy and creamy with a slight crunch. Easy, too, just add milk and sugar and cook for about 15 minutes! I topped off my bowl with a bit of granola, a handful of blueberries, a chopped nectarine and a drizzle of honey. Wholesome goodness in a bowl! Enjoy!

Creamy Breakfast Quinoa

Ingredients
Makes 2 servings
1 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
~1/2 cup milk (I used plain soy)
2-3 tbsp (to taste) brown sugar
Handful of blueberries
Chopped nectarine
1/4 cup granola
Honey

Place quinoa in a colander and rinse until water runs almost clear (DON'T skip this step, it will have a soapy aftertaste if not well rinsed). Put quinoa in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and cover with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat, let sit covered for 5 minutes, remove cover and fluff with a fork. (This is your basic quinoa, now we start adding!). Add in 1/2 cup milk and brown sugar. Return to heat over medium low, stirring until majority of milk is absorbed (taste at this point to make sure it is sweet enough, if not add more brown sugar or honey). Remove from heat, spoon into bowl. Top with blueberries, nectarine, granola, and honey. Sit back and bask in the glory of a healthy breakfast ☺

Have a wonderful day!


Photobucket

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up        party!

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! The photography is beautiful--I'd like to hang one of those pictures on my kitchen wall! I've been hearing about quinoa, now I think I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so much better than my breakfast today - I thought adding yummy pudding mix to my greek yogurt would result in a choco mousse like taste - not really. A slight choco taste with a bad aftertaste. Gross. Oh well, at least I know to stick to greek yogurt with fresh fruit and maple syrup and leave that pudding mix out. Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete