Monday, August 16, 2010

Magazine/Cookbook Monday: No bake Honey Granola Crunch Bites


Yesterday it was officially too hot to cook… even for me! On Sundays I usually try and bake something that I can take with me to work for breakfast during the week, but that wasn’t happening thanks to the heat. I was browsing through my saved recipe binder (because if you recall, I am trying to make a recipe I have saved from a magazine or cookbook at least once a week), and I came across an old Martha Stewart recipe from Everyday Food magazine. It looked super easy and I had everything on hand except crisp rice cereal (aka Rice Krispys), so I just used crushed up Honey Nut Chex. After mixing everything up and poppin the balls in the fridge for fifteen minutes, I had an easy, high protein take to work snack. I love that they are in little muffin wrappers, which not only makes them look cute, but also makes it easy to eat without getting sticky hands! They firm up really well if you leave them overnight, and are a nice cold treat in the morning. They were a tad sweet for my taste because I didn't use natural peanut butter, I used Jiff Creamy. Next time I will make sure to use natural (unsweetened) peanut butter. For a variation I want to try making them with flax seed mixed in for extra nutrient power… or maybe some oat bran… make them a bit healthier. Maybe cut down on the honey as well. This recipe is definitely a keeper and with a few tweaks may become my new favorite no bake snack!


No Bake Honey Granola Crunch Bites

Adapted from Everyday Food, April 2007

Ingredients

Makes 24


1/3 cup honey

1/4 cup natural peanut butter

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 cup Honey Nut Chex (crumbled)

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

1/4 cup dried fruit


Directions



In a small saucepan over medium, heat honey, peanut butter, and butter. Stir until loosened and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cereal, oats, and dried fruit. Drop mixture by the tablespoon into mini paper cupcake or candy liners. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. To store, refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week.


If you made a recipe from a cookbook/magazine/torn out recipe stash feel free to post a link to it or tell me about it in the comments… I love new recipes! Have a wonderful week, stay cool!




HappyDay


Beauty and Bedlam

5 comments: