Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mexican Hot Cocoa Dream Cookies


Happy Saturday! I woke up at 3:30 yesterday morning thanks to a giant moth attacking my nightlight…. Lovely way to wake up, no? Couldn't go back to sleep after THAT! So, time to make cookies! I am a huge fan of Melissa’s blog Little Mrs. Married. Not only does she post awesome recipes, but her adorable love story makes my heart happy. Check out at her story, wedding pics and recipes over at melissavenable.blogspot.com. I decided I wanted to try something chocolaty so I chose her Chocolate Lovers Dream Cookies. I switched the recipe up a little and used Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix instead of baking cocoa. So good! The Mexican cocoa makes the cookies rich, cinnamony and CHOCOLATY! The flavor takes me right back to a little cafĂ© that I loved to go to when I lived in Morelia, best hot chocolate ever! I used less sugar than the original recipe since the cocoa mix has added sugar. I also sandwiched the cookies together with a generous shmear of marshmallow fluff. Delicioso! I would recommend you make these, ahora mismo (right now :)!


Mexican Hot Cocoa Dream Cookies

Galletas de Chocolate Abuelita Rellenos de Crema de Malavisco

Adapted from Chocolate Lovers Dream Cookies by Little Mrs. Married

http://melissavenable.blogspot.com/2010/01/chocolate-lovers-dream-cookies.html



Ingredients


6 Tablespoons canola oil

1/4 cup butter, softened

3/4 cups packed brown sugar

Scant 1/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Scant 1/2 cup Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup vanilla or white chocolate chips (i used white chocolate)

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips


Filling: Marshmallow fluff



In a large bowl, beat the oil, butter & sugars until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat after each one. Beat in vanilla.


Combine the flour, hot chocolate mix, & baking powder.


Gradually add to oil mixture & mix well. Stir in chips.


Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing pans to wire racks. When cool spread one cookie with marshmallow fluff and stick another one on top! Pretty yummy!

NOTE: I didn't use my mixer to beat the dough cause I didn't want to wake the neighbors (it was real early!). I think this would've made the cookies a bit fluffier... but taste wise they were still amazing!


Enjoy!



p.s. What do you think of this font? Pretty or too hard to read?




6 comments:

  1. I can't believe you were baking so early! Though I do hate to be woken up in such an annoying way. :) These sound so delicious. I love how you turned chocolate cookies into so much more! I hope you'll join in our Saturday Swap today.... Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Those look amazing... i've never tried Mexican Hot Chocolate mix?!?! Those look way delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I had a good recipe to start with! Thanks Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for joining Saturday Swap! Please be sure to include the button to link back. Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does look dreamy. Oh, if only I had one right now, I would have it for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made these. They are so yummy! They are rich, so I was happy with eating just one. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete