Thursday, August 12, 2010

Knockoff Subway White Chocolate Cookies


About once a week I end up eating lunch at Subway, it is usually on those days when packing a lunch just aint happening. I figure it's healthier than most other fast food places, and I love sandwiches! Look at their spokesperson Jared, he eats there alot and he looks pretty good, right? However, I'm pretty sure Jared did not lose all that weight by eating those yummy subway cookies. I get in line, I order my whole wheat, veggies only, no spread sandwich, feeling so healthy and smart... then I get to the cash register and the inevitable question comes up.... "Wanna add cookies and a drink?" Oh no! I look down at those y
ummy white chocolate macadamia nut cookies... and feel my resolve crumbling.... I always get the cookies... I cant help it! They are always taste fresh baked and so soft! So, last night when I had a hankering to make cookies, I googled Subway cookie recipes, what if I could recreate those succulent little cookies at home? That would be, in a word, awesome. There were quite a few recipes online to choose from, but the one somewhat unusual ingredient most had in common was instant vanilla pudding. Aha! That must be what keeps them soft! I picked one of the recipes and decided to give it a go. As I began making them I realized I was missing a key ingredient... macadamia nuts... dang! What's a girl to do? Leaving out nuts was not an option because part of the yummyness of these cookies is the crunc
h the nuts give. Hmm... well I did have almonds so I chopped up a few handfulls of those and threw them in. That got my creative juices flowing, what else could I add in to make them extra special? How about... Sprinkles!! Yes! I love sprinkles! I wasnt sure how they would turn out when baked into cookies and I definity didnt want to ruin a whole batch if the outcome was less than palatable, so I split the batter in half and did half with sprinkles and half without. End result? USE SPRINKLES! The cookies with sprinkles were sooo good! The sprinkleless batch was delish too, but I actually preferred the sprinkles. They add a little extra sugary crunch to the cookie and they look cute! The vanilla pudding in the recipe resulted in a moist cookie that even after being frozen and rethawed remained soft and fresh baked tasting. The almonds were also a nice addition, I actually didnt miss the macadamia nuts at all! This recipe makes A TON of cookies (about 30 good sized ones), so halve it if you like or just make the cookies and freeze the ones you don't eat. Happy Baking, and remember, life is short, eat dessert first!

Subway Knockoff Cookies


Ingredients

2 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter or margarine (softened)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding (I used instant pudding mix)
2 large eggs
3/4 package white chocolate chips (you can do more or less)
3/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 to 1/3 cup sprinkles

Preheat oven to 375°.
Mix flour with baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine butter, sugars and pudding mix.

Beat until smooth and creamy.
Beat in eggs; gradually add flour mixture.


Stir in chips and nuts.

Fold in sprinkles.

Drop by teaspoon full on a non greased cookie sheet top with more sprinkles if desired.

Half batch without sprinkles...

Half with sprinkles.

Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes.



Sprinkltastic!!



HappyDay


New Friend Fridays

8 comments:

  1. Oh, they're sprinkles! I was wondering when I saw that top photo. Thank goodness or you really shouldn't be eating those Subway cookies ;)

    Lamb’s Most Recent Post: Come to the Albuquerque Zoo with Me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHMYGOSH, those look amazing!!!! & I LOVE Subway's cookies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could totally relate about smugly walking through the Subway line with my requests...no cheese, lots of veggies, splash of oil...then the Kicker! Love those cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sprinkles for sure! Love taking a favorite from a restaurant and creating it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never have too many sprinkles! And these stay soft for a long time after making them which is GREAT since I am trying to not let myself eat too many a day... key word "trying" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never tried the subway cookies...your version looks very good though. And verrrrrrrry sweet ---- who am I to complain? Sweet is always good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bar of white chocolate sitting on the top of my fridge, just waiting to be used. I think this is what it should be used for! :) Those cookies look DELICIOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete