Friday, August 13, 2010

Veggie Pasta



Happy Friday! Looking through my past few blogs, I noticed that I've been posting lots and lots of sweet recipes, so, I decided it's time for something healthy! I got this recipe for 'Raw Vegetable Pasta' from the Whole Foods website. I love eating squash raw dipped in ranch so I thought this was a genius idea, so fresh and delicious! Even better I got to utilize fresh herbs from my little back porch garden! The original recipe uses oil-packed sun dried tomatoes which I didn't have, so I cut a bunch of cherry tomatoes in half, drizzled them with olive oil, sprinkled on a bit of sea salt and basil and roasted them on a tray in the oven. I then sprinkled the roasted tomatoes over the finished salad and drizzled it with the oil that remained in the pan. This is now one of my favorite vegetable dishes! SUPER easy and flavorful. Perfect for those summer nights when cooking is not on your list of things to do. It would be delicious served with some crusty italian bread to soak up every last drop of that yummy olive oil dressing! So take the night off from cooking and enjoy this beautiful light salad!

Vegetable Pasta

Ingredients


2 zucchini squash, shaved thinly lengthwise with a vegetable peeler

2 yellow summer squash, shaved thinly lengthwise with a vegetable peeler

Sea salt and pepper to taste

1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil + more for drizzling


1 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved

2 tblsp fresh chives, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1 tablespoon finely chopped basil

1 teaspoon finely chopped oregano

1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese

Method

Combine squash, basil, chives, oregano, garlic and about half of the tomato halves in a large bowl.


Take remaining tomato halves and place in a small bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 tblsp basil, sprinkle with black pepper and salt. Drizzle 1 tblsp of oil over tomatoes and toss. Spread out onto a rimmed baking tray and brown on top rack of oven on boiler setting for 1-2 minutes (watch closely). When softened and sizzling, remove from oven, add to squash mixture, add parmesan flakes and toss. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

Nutrition: Average Per serving (about 6oz/169g-wt.): 70 calories

Have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. yumm these look delicious!!
    I am now following you thanks to New Friend Fridays!It would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog!
    Also we have the coolest blog-hop there is... no rules just fun and would love you to join in:) Oh and if you need any blog help or easy HTML tips, you know where to come!Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks so good! Thanks for the recipe...I've been looking for some healthy meals after all the desserts I've been making! TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't even like veggies and this one looks good liz :).

    ReplyDelete