Friday, August 27, 2010

Double Duty: Barbecue Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Barbecue Mac and Cheese


Happy Friday! Who loves a good crock pot meal?? I do! Earlier this week, I made a super easy bbq pulled pork in the crock pot. I got the idea from Mel's Kitchen Cafe blog. It has been so hot here this week that I really haven't wanted to turn on the oven, or even the stove for that matter, so I was thrilled to find another great crock pot recipe. It was so simple and turned out delicious. I put the pork in sandwiches and enjoyed it thoroughly. Now it's Friday and my fridge is full of leftovers. Time to use some up! I threw my leftover mac and cheese (from this post) and the leftover pulled pork into a big bowl, mixed in some extra cheese and scooped it into individual casserole bowls which I then sprinkled with MORE cheese and warmed up in the oven. It was soooo good! Perfect lazy Friday meal! I think I liked the mac and cheese even better this way... Which is saying something cause that mac and cheese was some good eating! I hope you guys enjoy, and take it easy! It's Friday! The perfect day for leftovers!


Ingredients:
3-4 pounds pork loin
Salt and Pepper
2 cups water
Your favorite barbecue sauce (about 2 cups)

Rinse the pork loin and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and put in slow cooker. Add water. Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours until very tender (mine was small so only took 8 hours).

Remove from slow cooker and discard remaining liquid. Using two forks, shred the meat.
Place back in cooker with barbecue sauce. Cook until heated, about 20-30 minutes. Stick it on a bun and your done! (sorry about the silly rhyme... I spend alot of time with kids ☺) Refridgerate leftovers in a tightly covered container.

Leftovers?? See below!


Ingredients:
Pulled pork (however much you have left over)
Mac and cheese (again whatever you have left over)
Barbecue sauce
Cheese

Mix leftover pulled pork and macaroni in a large bowl with 1/2 - 3/4 cup good quality cheese (I used tillamook cheddar and jack cheese) and about 1/3 cup barbecue sauce (depends on how saucy you want yours). Scoop into individual casserole cups. Top with a sprinkle of grated cheese. Heat in oven on low heat until warmed through (about 15 minutes).
Have a wonderful weekend!

New Friend Fridays

9 comments:

  1. Yumm! Those both look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that mac and chz looks sooooooooooo good. I LOVE mac and chz and baked beans mixed together so this looks like a much fancier version of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both look delicious! Visiting and following from NFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have thought to add BBQ pork to mac & cheese, but hello! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbeque in mac and cheese? What?! Well, hmmmmmm. I love bbq, and I love mac and cheese, so I can see it working . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love leftovers, especially on Friday nights when I don't feel like cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this sounds like such a great flavor combo - pulled pork, BBQ sauce and mac and cheese, what's not to love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks super yummy and beautiful photography. Makes me want to take a bite at the screen. Thanks for checking out my Salsa Chicken and Rice dish over at A Little Bit of Everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I add liquid smoke while in the crock pot. Best.recipe.ever!

    ReplyDelete